Editorial Director (Remote)
Full-time employment; $70k salary plus early startup equity options and benefits.
California residency strongly preferred.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But you know what? There’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate. Hidden Compass is looking for exceptional people who want to do things differently and create a community where everyone can thrive. So whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this role would make you excited to sign on to work every day.
Benefits include medical insurance, new parent leave, and early startup equity options.
Shepherd stories from concept to completion for our award-winning quarterly magazine on exploration. Guide journalists and storytellers through the creation and promotion of profiles, campaigns, and behind-the-scenes content. Work hand in hand with the company’s co-founders to shape the future of engaging, nuanced, sustainable journalism.
To forge an Alliance to turn storytellers and explorers into heroes and champion a new age of discovery.
When We Can Start Working Together
Earlier the better! We’re looking for someone who will be ready to start in January of 2022.
Who We Are
We are badass nerds.
Hidden Compass exists at the intersection of intellectual curiosity and audacious discovery. We are nerdy humans stoked about the underappreciated workings of the universe. And we are explorers who charge past our comfort zones to innovate, adapt, and embrace new challenges.
We are championing a new age of discovery.
Our community supports stories about exploration and the remarkable people who tell them. Our role models are journalists, scientists, historians, and artists — trailblazers who make us question what we know, transport us to new places, and inspire us to believe in the promise of modern exploration.
We believe everyone is a nerd about something.
From cartography to conservation, Soviet ghost towns to Antarctic sea butterflies, having something to geek out about makes the world more wonderful. Hidden Compass is a place that celebrates courage and curiosity, encouraging deep engagement with the quirky subjects that fuel our passions.
We believe there’s reason to be hopeful about the future.
Beyond mindless clickbait and social influencer culture, we see a future of nourishing, sustainable journalism and groundbreaking, global exploration where storytellers and explorers are hailed as heroes. Our grassroots movement is paving the way with award-winning stories supported by a thriving community that has a voice in what we do. And we’re just getting started.
Who You Are
- An individual with a passion for travel as exploration, rather than vacation.
- A professional with at least 5 years of editorial and management experience.
- A curious human who is dedicated to celebrating the frontiers of human knowledge AND the journalists, scientists, historians, artists, and explorers who report from these frontiers.
- A strong writer who can capture our cinematic voice.
- Someone who is comfortable adopting new technology and applications.
- A master task-juggler who upholds our values of courage and curiosity.
What You’ll Do
Curate Stories for the Magazine
- Review pitches and submissions; assigning stories that uphold a high caliber of journalism and cinematic storytelling
- Guide stories through multiple rounds of edits to achieve our unique editorial voice, while showcasing the voices of our diverse contributors
- Coordinate with the Hidden Compass fact-checker to verify the accuracy of stories
- Source, in conjunction with our creative director, images — photography and other artwork — that represent the magazine’s high-quality visual identity
- Shape, alongside co-founders and future editorial hires, each issue for digital release
Chart a New Course for Journalism
- Take a bird’s-eye view of editorial strategy, making pivotal improvements to editorial workflow, and overseeing new hires to our growing editorial team
- Strategize with co-founders in weekly editorial meetings to align the magazine with larger company initiatives and give feedback on new initiatives and launches
- Prepare our contributors to interact with our audience in innovative ways, such as presenting themselves via profile pages, fundraising campaigns, and videos
- Compose compelling content for monthly newsletters, and drafting occasional marketing copy
- Embrace a start-up frame-of-mind and taking on other responsibilities as needed
Why We Need You
Our small, growing start-up has big plans. We’re working to bring the antidote to clickbait to the world. As the Editorial Director, you’ll be at the helm of our magazine — our pride and joy — which is the doorway through which we invite tens of thousands of readers each year to step and join our movement. Explorers are in. Are you?
To apply, send your cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org.